Tuesday 29 April 2014

Good Music Is Still Good Music

As I mentioned in my first post for this blog, I love singing. I upload some songs to SoundCloud, I upload some in video format to YouTube, but most of the time I sing using a karaoke app. In this app there are a few songs that I can sing for free, but I have to pay for the privilege of singing most of them. It was cheaper just to get a VIP membership for a month to be able to sing all I wanted. I didn't think I would use it as much as I have. It's been a few weeks now and I have sung over 120 songs, no kidding. That's without me really knowing diddly squat about today's music.
Here's my complaint: there are, as an example, probably 8 Britney Spears songs. There are several Lady Gaga songs. Even Ellie Goulding has two or three karaoke songs to her credit. However, there are a number of artists that are conspicuously absent. ABBA. Leonard Cohen. Tina Turner. Aerosmith. The list goes on and on. And I am not talking about one-hit wonders here, people. I am talking about legends in the music business. Whether they are your cup of tea or not, they are the true survivors. I can't believe it was so much easier to get copyright permission from Justin Bieber's people and One Direction's people than it would be to get permission from, say, Def Leppard. It just makes no sense.
Granted, today's teenagers might be hard-pressed to name one UB40 song. But that doesn't mean that no one would sing them. I can't be the only 39 year-old who uses this app. And music that was good back then is still good today. Isn't it? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?