Thursday 21 September 2017

KEEP PRESSING ON


For the past week or so, I have been affected by some type of cough.This also coincided with my "cold turkey" smoking cessation, so I am not entirely sure the  cough had nothing to do with what happened. For days I simply could not sing.

Singing means a whole lot to me. It means a wonderful release from any and all stress I felt that day. It means being good at something I was told endlessly that I sucked at. It means connecting with you in a very real way, no matter how far apart we are. So this blog post talks about how I found my way back to singing from my forced hiatus.

1. I relaxed. The worst thing for a singing voice is stress or sadness. I did a lot of deep breathing and staring off into the distance from my balcony (minus cigarette this time). I know I need relaxed vocal chords even to sings songs that are low on the register.

2. Be realistic. I knew i couldn't sing a "diva"-type song on a good voice day, much less on a day where I sounded like I was trying to cough up a bison. So I looked for songs that did not have a lot of unpredictable changes between notes and tempo. And those were the ones I tried first.

3. Give yourself permission to fail. When I tried to start singing again, I flubbed about 80% of the songs I tried. But I wouldn't let that stop me. I knew that somewhere deep inside lurked a decent singing voice. And I knew I could find it again if only I could give myself time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?