Friday 28 April 2017

BEHIND THE ARTWORK: Cloak

 I have been thinking about creating a piece with this theme for a while now. Less than a month ago, I lost a friend. Not to death or illness, but it was still very difficult for me. It's not easy when you know someone for 20 years, and one day they decide they've had enough with you. It can make you feel like you never want to let anybody in again. 
This work, which I call "Cloak" is about that feeling of never wanting to let anyone in again. The picture is seen from the perspective of the artist, even though the hair colour and length is roughly the same as mine. But I guess this is more about stepping outside myself and witnessing the pain I am feeling. The subject is turned away from the artist, as one would be if they were ignoring someone or simply walking away. She is wrapped in a cloak as an additional layer of protection between her physical self and the rest of the world. The cloak represents her wall. 
I don't want to be one of those people who can't let anyone in. And it would seem a shame if I kept punishing myself for someone else's decision. So every day I try. I try to reach out just a little, and I put something out into the world that I can be proud of. Because even when bad things happen, life doesn't end. There's always more beauty to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?