Wednesday 7 June 2017

REACHING DESTINY


This is Destiny Price. She is a fellow YouTuber who also happens to be a trans woman. She is one of my very favorite creators to watch for a number of reasons, but I am just going to cover a few here.


Destiny has not had an easy life, much of it filled with abuse and torment. To this day she gets shockingly awful comments on her channel, people deliberately referring to her as a man, even though one look at these photos would tip anyone off that she does not identify as one.


This is a picture of me, several years ago. And even though I was not transitioning, I would have to filter out the occasional dumb comment on my video page about my looks. For many people, gender expression is supposed to be something that is set in stone; when people don't follow the "rules" they must be harassed until they are shamed into taking the form of the gender they are "meant to be".


I watch all of Destiny's videos from beginning to end - whether she is raging against bigots and the fake people that inadvertently help them, talking about her granddaughter, or finally collapsing in tears, tired from being so strong for too long. And a final word to any members of the skeptic community who might be reading this: leave this woman alone. She has been through enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?